Pearl jewelry, whether it is a single strand of pearl necklace or pearl bracelet or a pair of pearl earrings, will never get old with times and can be passed from one generation to another. If cleaned and taken care properly, your necklace and pearl jewelry will look as good as new for a long period of time.
Pearls are very delicate type of gemstones unlike diamonds, rubies, emeralds, etc. Pearls can get easily damaged if not cleaned and taken care properly. Using ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to clean your necklace, it’ll damage the outer layers of the pearl.
Cleaning Pearl Jewelry
It’s a good thing to clean your pearl jewelry whenever you wear them. Just wipe your pearl pendant necklace with a soft cloth, when every time you take them off after attending an event.
- Before cleaning, just check the condition of the jewelry like, take a brief look at the necklace or bracelet on which the pearls are threaded, just to make sure that the thread is strong and stretched.
- Take your pearl jewelry and clean it by wiping the surface with a mixture of Luke eaten water and a few drops of mild dish soap or detergent. After that will then off once again with fresh water to remove the soap residue if any, and keep them on a soft towel to dry.
- Don’t soak your pearl necklace in the soapy water as it might affect and weaken the thread of your necklace.
Taking care of Pearl Jewelry:
Here are some tips on how to take care of your pearl jewelry;
- Clean them with a soft cloth to remove skin oil, dirt, dust, perfume or sweat before you keep them inside the jewelry box.
- The storing of pearls is important as keeping them with other jewelry objects might damage the outer layer of the pearl.
- The pearl needs moisture and air when you keep them in a plastic bag, the pearls may get cracked. Just wrap them up in a soft cloth or place them in a soft pouch.
- Don’t put any chemicals like, bleach, perfume, hydrogen peroxide, chlorine, vinegar, hairspray and other cosmetics as when they come in contact with your necklace they might damage the pearl surface.
- Get them re-stringed once in a year or at least once in 2-3 years if you wear them regularly, just to make sure that the string is strong enough to hold the pearls on a pearl necklace.
- Always put on your pearl jewelry just before you leave for the event, in order to protect them from cosmetics and perfume.
At last, wear them often so that they don’t get old by just sitting in your wardrobe!